Two schools took home the top prizes in the competition: a team from Polaris Career Center of Middleburg Heights, Ohio, under the direction of Chef Chris Olszewski, won the first place award for culinary. Penta Career Center, of Perrysburg, Ohio, under the direction of teacher Janea Makowski, won the first place award for management.
Culinary teams prepared healthy three-course meals while management teams developed a business proposal for a new restaurant concept and presented it to a variety of industry judges. The winning teams will represent Ohio at the National ProStart Invitational in Grapevine, Texas this April.
“We’re very proud of all of our students. The training provided to the students opens doors to numerous scholarship opportunities,” said Ohio Restaurant Association Education Foundation Executive Director Patricia Halper. “The Invitational also put students in front of a wide range of employers and allows for greater opportunities in their chosen careers.”
Teacher of Excellence Award provided by Bob Evans Farms’ was given to Dennis Finley, a teacher at R.G. Drage Career Technical Center in Massillon, Ohio.
“Finley instills in his students the needed confidence. He listens when needed, provides advice when sought, cheers up students with they are down, and is a leader by example for them in all aspects of their lives,” said Ohio Restaurant Association Chairman Roy Getz, who is part of the operations leadership team at Bob Evans.
More individual awards:
- Ohio ProStart Top Management Award provided by A Catered Event: Alexis Roach, a student at South-Western Career Academy, Grove City
- Ohio ProStart Top Culinary Award provided by Akron/Canton ACF: Emily Leopold, a student at Polaris Career Center, Middleburg Hts.
- Ohio ProStart Top Poultry Fabricator, provided by Dexter Russell: Ryan Nacarato, a student at Normandy High School, Parma
- Ohio ProStart Top Knife Skills Award, provided by Dexter Russell: Dakota Stevens, a student at Polaris Career Center, Middleburg Hts.
- Ohio ProStart Top Leadership Award, provided by Rusty Bucket: George Zavakos, a student at Centerville High School, Centerville
- Second Place - Spring-field Clark Career Technology Center, Springfield: Teachers David Hay & David Remias
- Third Place - Normandy High School, Parma: Teachers Iann Johnson & Christie Gibbons
- Fourth Place - Pioneer Career & Technology Center: Teacher Seth Weibel
- Fifth Place - Tolles Career & Technical Center: Teacher Gregg Needles
- Second Place Team - Lancaster High School, Lancaster: Teacher Debra Bates
- Third Place Team - Centerville High School, Centerville, Ohio: Teacher- Mark Mitrovich
- Fourth Place Team - R.G. Drage Career Technical Center, Massillon: Teacher Dennis Finley
- Fifth Place Team - Sentinel Career & Technology Center, Tiffin: Teacher Valerie Zeno